Download past issues:
Quaestio, the UCLA undergraduate history journal, is the official publication of the Theta Upsilon chapter of Phi Alpha Theta International History Honors Society. In accordance with chapter bylaws, all editors of the journal are members in good standing of Phi Alpha Theta. Quaestio accepts unpublished, original manuscripts from all current UCLA undergraduate students that meet the criteria as established by the Editorial Board and posted on the chapter’s official website. Calls for papers are issued at intervals to be determined by the Editorial Board. Manuscripts submitted to the journal that are introduced into the editorial process are not returned. While authors retain the copyright to their work, they must notify the Editorial Board prior to submitting it to any other printed or online publication.
2017-18: Now Available! (See above)
2017-18 Submission Window
April 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM – May 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
Do you have a paper you wrote in class this year that you’d like for the editors of Quaestio to consider for publication? Have you completed an honors thesis with a faculty member at UCLA that you’d like us to read and publish? If so, the editors of Quaestio would love to read your work! Please reference the submission window listed above, as submissions for the 2017-18 edition of Quaestio will not be considered if they are emailed to us before or after the dates and times specified. Please contact us through email (see below) or on Facebook if you have any questions.
General Submission Requirements
Quaestio requires very strict adherence to CMS 16th ed., and your paper’s bibliographic apparatus does not conform to the norms explicated therein. Please reference chapter 14 of the CMS, with particular attention paid to section 14.4, “Notes and bibliography—an overview.” A full citation in note should be produced with the author’s given name first and surname following given name. This procedure is reversed in the bibliography, with the author’s surname first, followed immediately by a comma, and then the author’s given name.
- You should be a current UCLA undergraduate or recent  UCLA graduate at the time of submission
- Your topic must be of a historical nature 
- Your paper should be original researched and should be unpublished elsewhere
- The following point is under discussion by the Quaestio board
- Your paper must be in English
- Important: Your paper must be typeset with 12 pt. Times New Roman font. It must have uniform, 1″ margins. The footnote apparatus used in your document must not be manually composed; you must use the footnote apparatus unique to the software with which you are composing your document.
- Important: Quaestio requires very strict adherence to CMS 16th ed., . Please reference especially chapter 14 of the CMS, with particular attention paid to section 14.4, “Notes and bibliography—an overview.” A full citation-in-note should be produced with the author’s given name first and surname following given name. This procedure is reversed in the bibliography, with the author’s surname first, followed immediately by a comma, and then the author’s given name.
- Our page length hard-minimum is 10 pages, not including bibliography. We do not have a page maximum, but papers above 50 pages have historically not been published.
- Should you desire to publish a book review for Quaestio, we look for 1-3 pages; this is negotiable in extraordinary circumstances or in synoptic reviews and analytic pieces that reference three or more texts
- We request that, on the first page of your document, you include an abstract that does not exceed the length of the first page. This abstract should be the third item on the first page, after your name, and the title of your paper.
- You must submit your work via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in the time-frame stipulated above; we request that you use clear concise subject headlines
- You are permitted to send us multiple submissions, but we will only publish one of the submissions.
: The parameters of “recent” is subject to change and is determined at the discretion of the sitting Editor-in-Chief
: Contact us if you’re uncertain about what Quaestio understands to be historical
: See this website to learn more about CMS. If you have trouble accessing their interactive style guide, you will have full access to the contents of CMS 16th ed., using a UCLA VPN or by connecting to the internet on UCLA’s campus or while in on-campus housing.